Frequently Asked Questions

Q) My Naviance and Common Application accounts are not matching, what do I do?

A) Account information is case sensitive. Make sure your account information is the same for both accounts. Counselors will meet with seniors in September to assist with matching accounts. If you continue to have difficulty please see your counselor.

Q) Does the Hanover Park Regional High School District rank?

A) No, our school system does not rank. A rank in one school is not equivalent to the same rank in another school. There are many other parts of the college admissions process beyond the rank.

Q) How do I apply to colleges that require self reporting of grades?

A) More and more colleges are now requiring students to self-report their grades or use a school specific self-reported academic record. This is in lieu of having an official transcript submitted. Please refer to each college's website for more information on how to self report.

Q) Do I have to send SAT scores from College Board and/or ACT scores directly from ACT?

A) Yes, scores need to be sent to the colleges directly from College Board or ACT, unless the school is test-optional. Scores sent from the high school are not considered “official scores."

Q) Are students required to take SAT subject tests?

A) For reference, please refer to College Board's list of  Colleges that Use Subject Tests. It is advised that students follow-up with individual colleges to confirm whether  subject tests are required, recommended, or optional. Typically, top-tier and highly selective colleges may require these tests.

Q) When should I take SAT Subject tests if I need to?

A) A student can take an SAT Subject test at any time except the March test date. The best time to take it would be at the end of the course that corresponds to the test.

Q) What is FERPA?

A) FERPA stands for Family Education Rights Privacy Act and controls access to documents such as letters of recommendation at a college admissions office. Please see the U.S. Department of Education's website for further information.

Q) What do I do if I have misplaced or forgotten my Naviance login information?

A) There is a "Forgot my password" feature on the login page of Naviance, but if that doesn't work, contact the guidance secretary or your counselor. They will be able to reset your username and/or password.

Q) Do teachers mail out their own letters of recommendation?

A) If the college accepts Naviance eDocs, the Guidance Office will send the letters electronically. If the college does not accept eDocs, the Guidance Office will mail out the letters directly to the admissions office.

Q) I was part of a dual credit program through Seton Hall or FDU, how do I request a transcript from them?

A) The student should contact the registrar at that institution and follow their specific requirements. Many colleges will have an online transcript request portal.

Q) When should I start taking the SAT or ACT?

A) Although there is no one correct answer for all the students, the general recommendation is for a student to begin testing in the late winter, early spring of his or her junior year. It is suggested that if a student is currently enrolled in Algebra II/Trigonometry, he/she should test no earlier than March. Students in Pre- Calculus or beyond can test anytime during his/her junior year. Feel free to reach out to your counselor to address your specific situation.

Q) How do I begin to develop my list of possible colleges?

A) There is no one correct answer. The college process is an individual process and what is right for one person may not be right for the other. Factors such as major, location, size and financial resources are all components of the process. Remember it is not about where you go. It is what you do with where you go that really matters. There are multiple paths to the same goal. Talk to your school counselor for further information.

Q)How do I request a transcript?

A) For seniors, specific instructions will be issued to each student by his/her counselor during the application process. Students in grades 9-11 can pick up a transcript request form from the guidance office. Alumni can print out a form available on the school website.